Sunday, June 3, 2012

Figgy Piggy's Recipe

A couple of weeks ago we had a Iron Chef Black Box event for our admin professionals for Admin Professional's week.  Since I cook a lot I was voted to be the leader for our team and gave people direction on what to create prepare.  It was great fun. I recommend even if you do not cook and you have a chance to do this type of event do it! Sorry I do not have a picture of our Figgy Piggy's but here is what I had the team do (these items were in our black box along with tons more).

FIGGY PIGGY RECIPE
(Great for a party or a starter item):
  • 1 package of bacon (or more depends on your event size) (I prefer nitrate free)
  • As many dried figs (whole) as you would like (not dehydrated) (I prefer organic no nitrates)
  • Toothpicks
  • Olive oil to coat the pan I think I did about 2 tablespoons for the pan I used (so two swirls around the pan)
  • Maple Syrup (my team mates great idea)

Cut your bacon strips in half (not lengthwise that would be crazy)
Take a figs and wrap each one in with a half of a bacon piece.  Pierce with a toothpick to hold the roll together.
Then warm your olive oil in a frying pan.
Place the Figgy Piggy's into the oil. Over medium heat is best (you could probably put these in your oven too. I thought broiling on low could be a option but we only had one small burner available).
Cook until the bacon looks done but not crispy. You should turn often as to not burn.
Then plate the Figgy Piggy's and drizzle with maple syrup. We had some various garnishes of herbs/fruit to the edges of our plate for decorations.
Serve hot or light warmish.
Enjoy!  Everyone loved them!

* you ask why I choose nitrate free items.  Nitrates give some people migraines and I am the lucky one that suffers this plaque.

No comments: