Monday, September 3, 2012

2nd Year Raspberries

 
Our plants are now 2 years old.  Another great year of berries.  This year I made jam and plan on making a few more recipes with a remaining bag of frozen berries. 

Here are some pics and the recipe:


A whole bunch of frozen raspberries
 
Mash them all up
 


4 cups of mashed raspberries (rinsed well)  I freeze my raspberries that I pick from my plants all year
6 1/2 cups of sugar
I put a 1/2 teaspoon of butter to keep foam down.
Liquid Pectin Packet

While the berries and sugar are cooking.

Canning pot, back burner lids, and up front the raspberry jam cooking away


Start the canning pot, boil the water.  Have a 1-2 inch water above the jars.  I use a variety of sizes of canning jars.  Usually need about 6 or 8 jars.

Put the lids in a pan to soften the seals.  Make sure your jars are sterilized and kept warm.

Once the raspberries and sugar is boiling and you cannot stir down.  Pour your pectin into the raspberries and sugar.  Continuously stir for 1 minute (boiling).

The pour into your jars.  Clean the tops of jars.  Jam should be about 1/4 inch from the top of the jars.  Put seal on then lid, hand tight.  Put into your canning pot rack.  Boil 10 mins.  Pull out and set on counter to cool.  Tightening the lids again.  Once they seal you can put them away.

Hot jam cooling off

I have a little extra so I pour it in a jar and put it in the refrigerator to eat over the next few days.

Yummy!


 

No comments: